First of all its pretty easy to do but you can render your phone dead and void your warranty by rooting your phone, so if you’ve got itchy feet turn back now. I’m not taking the blame for your cock up. this is a guide i followed and it worked for me
The benefit of rooting your phone is so that you can remove the apps that come pre installed on your phone that you don’t want. It also allows you to tweak various other settings
It was pretty easy to root and i haven’t lost any data, although i did remove my SD card just in case. So i’ve done a step by step guide below.
Items you need first
Super One Click V2.1.1 Download
XWKDD TAR File Download
1. Make sure you have Samsungs Kies Software on your PC. You can download this by searching in google for samsung kies download or go HERE
2. Make sure that your device is in USB debugging mode: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
3. Reboot your device into download mode. To do so: Turn the device off, then power it on again by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power simultaneously.
I found this step the hardest bit off all, if your phone re boots and has yellow writing on and looks like the picture to the left. Then pull the battery out and try again it needs to have a big warning sign on.
The screen you need looks like the one to the left, it took me 3/4 attempts to get this so keep trying.
4. Install the ODIN software (Download from above) then run the ODIN software make sure your Galaxy S2 is attached via USB
5. Wait a few seconds, the ODIN screen will show that a device is now connected, it will turn Yellow
– Make sure that in ODIN nothing is checked, except the “Auto reboot” and “F. Reset Time” check boxes. Very Important
– Press the “PDA” button, and browse and select your”XWKDD_insecure.tar” file. (It doesn’t need to be unzipped)
– Press “Start”. ODIN will now flash the kernel ie your phone, and the device should reboot.
6. Your Galaxy S2 will now be ready to go but leave connected via USB as we now need to actually Root It
7. While still being connected via USB, start SuperOneClick and now lick the Root button It should shortly say “Success” after a few seconds in the right hand corner of the SuperOneClick screen.